Karoline’s Cookie & Cream Cupcakes!
A rainy, spring weekend is the perfect excuse to make some tasty goodies for family and friends! Cupcakes have been all the rave for quite some time, but I had yet to attempt my own signature concoction. Let me just tell you that these sweet treats were better than I imagined! I would describe the experience as mud pie meets cream cheese heaven. Although I could’ve easily kept the whole batch for myself, with beach season right around the corner, I decided to share with friends and coworkers. Nothing says “Happy Monday” like an Oreo-stuffed cupcake! (Cupcakes above pictured on our Elise 7″ Linen Square Scalloped Plates with Riviera Pineapple napkins and Riviera Stripes Guest Towels.)
Cookie and Cream Cupcakes
Makes 24 cupcakes
24 Oreo halves, with cream filling attached
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
8 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 2/3 cup sugar
3 large egg whites, at room temperature
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup milk
20 Oreo cookies, coarsely chopped
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
4 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
2 tbsp. heavy cream
Oreo cookie crumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 350˚ F. Line the bottom of two cupcake pans with paper liners. Place an Oreo halve in the bottom of each liner, cream side up.
2. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir together with a fork and set aside.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the butter and sugar and beat together on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Blend in the egg whites one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in the vanilla extract. With the mixer on low speed, beat in half of the dry ingredients just until incorporated. Add the milk and beat just until combined, then mix in the remaining dry ingredients. Gently fold in the chopped Oreos with a rubber spatula until evenly incorporated, being careful not to over-mix.
4. Evenly divide the batter between the prepared cupcake liners. Bake for 18-20 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through baking, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pans 5-10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. To make the frosting, combine the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-high speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Blend in the vanilla extract. Beat in the confectioners’ sugar until incorporated and smooth, 1-2 minutes. Add the heavy cream to the bowl and beat on medium-low speed just until incorporated, then increase the speed to medium-high and whip for 4 minutes until light and fluffy, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
6. Frost the cooled cupcakes as desired. Sprinkle with Oreo crumbs and garnish with Oreo halves.
Recipe adapted from Annie-Eats.com.